Only 3 months ago I was writing about how “surgery can’t come soon enough”
We knew even then there was a risk of surgery failing. We knew my bone disease was behaving erratically and had a mind of its own.
Despite the risks of surgery failure we just didn’t have a choice. We had to try to relieve the intensity of pain I was experiencing. We had to give me the chance to stand for longer than 5 minutes. I was losing my ability to walk at all, even with aides, and my bowel and bladder were being impacted.
We Didn’t Expect This So Quickly
When we thought about surgery failure, we thought in terms of a year, maybe two.
What we didn’t expect was my MRI, from a week ago, would show more severe spinal stenosis and spinal cord compression than before my surgery!
I knew my pain was escalating. I knew something wasn’t right but I wasnt expecting the results the MRI presented us with.
It was/is a little mind-blowing!
My Ligamentum Flavum is Doing What?
So, apparently my ligamentum flavum has thickened within 3 months and is buckling into my spinal cord recess, causing severe spinal stenosis.
Now I have to admit, I had no idea what a ligamentum flavum was. I’m now an expert…sort of!!
So let’s keep this all simple. The spinal ligamentum flavum is one of the tough bands of tissue that connects the vertebrae and provides stability for proper posture and back movement.
When it buckles it causes symptoms when the spine is straight, making standing, walking or lying down incredibly painful.
When the back is bent, the buckled ligament stretches and pressure is removed from the spinal cord or adjacent nerve roots. So sitting is a better position.
In my case the buckling ligament is causing severe spinal stenosis but so is my L4 facet joint.
I’m being attacked from both sides. So, I have issues sitting as well as standing/lying. I basically can’t do anything without severe pain in my lower back and legs.
Today was the day to face my Surgeon. He is such a lovely guy and he was not wanting this outcome any more than I was.
The appointment was brief. It was all pretty straight forward really. I had two options.
- Live with excruciating pain and worsening disability;
- Try and relieve said pain with more surgery.
His strong recommendation was surgery. My choice was surgery with one proviso.
I asked if he would also do a biopsy on my spine/ligament, during the surgery, to see what it might reveal in terms of my bone disease.
His immediate response was, yes it’s a great idea. I was so relieved. There is something very aggressive happening in my spine so it’s possible it may hold some further insight into my rare bone disease. Here’s hoping!!
The Date Is Set
1st of March has been set as the surgery date. Less than 2 weeks away which is a good thing.
I’m back to thinking “Surgery can’t come soon enough”
Here we go again!
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid.
Psalm 56 v 3-4
If you’re looking for genuine support, care, understanding & friendship, you are so welcome to join my closed Facebook support forum, Medical Musings with Friends . It’s a safe place to connect with others living with chronic & complex diseases, who truly understand the daily challenges. A warm welcome awaits.
I’m also a Contributor at “The Mighty”. You can check out my published articles at My Author Page
I also write @ Blogs by Christian Women